Friday, February 17, 2012

Open Call



Welcome to my stop on the Musa Publishing Blog Hop!

One thing I do quite a bit...okay...a lot...when I read a novel is I wind up casting the movie or TV miniseries in my head. Usually it's from the author's description of the characters or the dialogue will trigger something in my mind and I'll have that particular actor or actress playing out that part as I read. (It was quite problematic when I first read Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City. I was around 16 and I immediately imagined myself as Michael, who was twice my age. So? I didn't care. I think a lot of gay men my age did -- and do -- the same thing. The highlights included Jessica Harper as Mary Ann and Bea Arthur as Mrs. Madrigal. Bea Arthur might not have been correct physically, but she could rock a turban and a caftan. Anyway. Back to our story.)

To show you what era I grew up in and how much TV I watched back then, reading The Estrogen Posse has given me some ideas on who would play at least four of the characters: Elaine Joyce as Ellie (I mostly remember her from her run on many a Mark Goodson-Bill Todman game show, from Tattletales to Match Game '7X), Brenda Vacarro as her best friend Rina (she did the loud, brassy, sassy but important Best Friend role a lot), and in the dual role of twin nuns Sister Mary Margaret and Sister Margaret Mary, Brett Somers.

Yeah. Says a lot about me, don't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment